When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Are your teeth yellow or brown? Do you long for the days when you had a sparkling smile? If your teeth look dull or discolored, don’t despair. Learn what you can do at home and how our experienced dental team at Mosaic Dental in Sterling, Virginia can help.
Causes of stained teeth
As we age, our teeth become discolored. This is because the enamel begins to wear away. But, it could also be from intrinsic or extrinsic stains. Intrinsic stains are found within a tooth. They can be caused by a tooth injury, genetics, too much fluoride, or some medication. Extrinsic stains are found on the tooth’s enamel or on the tooth’s surface. They can be caused by:
- Tobacco (smoking or chewing)
- Pigmented foods like berries, chocolate, red sauce
- Pigmented drinks like soda, coffee, tea, or red wine
You don’t have to give up your favorite foods or drinks, but you can make some adjustments in your oral health habits to keep your teeth stain-free.
What you can do at home
Over-the-counter at-home whitening treatments can be messy and ineffective compared to an in-office treatment. Luckily, there are other ways to brighten your smile, especially if your discolored teeth are caused by what you eat and drink. Follow these tips:
- Use a toothpaste that whitens teeth
- Rinse with water after eating or drinking stain-causing foods and beverages
- Drink through a paper or metal straw
- Quit smoking or using chewing tobacco
- Brush and floss your teeth soon after eating or drinking pigmented items
How we can help
We offer a variety of ways to refresh your smile. Our team can assess your teeth and let you know which options are best for you based on your unique situation. These cosmetic dentistry options include:
- Philips Zoom!® in-office teeth whiteningfor a fast, pain-free, and effective professional teeth whitening treatment that can be used on sensitive teeth
- Veneersto cover teeth that have severe stains that don’t respond to whitening treatments
- Dental bondingto cover the stains and discoloration
Be sure to brush, floss, and use mouthwash regularly to maintain good oral hygiene and to help your whitening treatment last longer. Also, see us twice a year for teeth cleanings and check-ups to stay on top of any dental issues that arise.
Are you ready to get your bright smile back? Contact us at 703-444-5111 for teeth whitening procedures, teeth cleanings, and more. You can also request an appointment using our convenient online booking tool.